Fishing remains among the most popular outdoor activities for adults, according to the 2015 Special Report on Fishing released today by the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF) and the Outdoor Foundation at the International Convention of Allied Sportfishing Trades show (ICAST) in Orlando, Fla.
The report reveals that more than 2.4 million people had their very first fishing experience in 2014, and a total of 46 million Americans participated in fishing.
TOP 10 REPORT LEARNINGS
- Overall Participation – 46 million Americans (15.8% of the U.S. population ages 6 and older) participated in fishing in 2014
- Women Anglers – Over 47% of first-time fishing participants are female
- Outdoor Activity – Among adult outdoor participants, fishing is the second most popular outdoor activity
- Newcomers – More than 2.4 million people had their very first fishing experience in 2014
- Social – Nearly 82% of fishing trips involve more than one person
- Youth – Fishing participation as a child has a powerful effect on future participation – more than 85% of adult anglers fished as a child, before the age of 12
- Future Participants – Almost 4.3 million youth (11%) would like to try fishing, a growth opportunity for the industry
- Number of Outings for Hispanic Participants – Hispanic fishing participants average 25.8 days on the water per year; over six days more than the average for all fishing participants (19.4 days)
- Spontaneous – 81% of fishing trips are spontaneous or planned within a week of the trip
- Motivation – Spending time with family and friends continue to be the largest reason to participate in fishing, specifically, 72.2% for ages 6-12 and 66.8% for ages 13-17
Stats from the 2015 Report
About the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation (RBFF)
RBFF is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to increase participation in recreational angling and boating, thereby protecting and restoring the nation’s aquatic natural resources.
About the Outdoor Foundation & Outdoor Nation
The charitable arm of the Outdoor Industry Association, The Outdoor Foundation is taking the lead nationally to inspire and empower a new generation of outdoor enthusiasts through its signature program Outdoor Nation.