Fresh wild salmon is best when you do not do too much to it. This method of grilling a salmon filet lets the natural flavor remain the star of the dish.
- Brush grill rack with oil.
- Drizzle olive oil onto skin-side and top of salmon;
- Sprinkle generously with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Place salmon on preheated grill, skin-side down.
- Grill salmon uncovered 5 minutes.
- Using 1 or 2 large spatulas, carefully turn fish over.
- Grill until fish just begins to flake in center, 4 to 5 minutes longer.
- Transfer salmon to platter and serve immediately.
If you are using a wood-burning or charcoal grill, leave uncovered. Only cover if using gas grill.